Monday, February 2, 2009

Pantipalooza----Dijea's idea.....

I have been thinking about Pantipalooza.  Mindy has the best explanation but here's the short version...chose some woman, women or a women's group that can benefit from something you can donate or do and then...you DO it.

The Dream:
If I didn't have to worry about money I would go buy a duplex or a four-plex and lease out (for free) the units to battered women and their children so they could get back on their feet and get established before they go back out into "the real world".  They would be required to get a job, but rent and all utilities would be covered so they would have the time to save money, buy what they need or didn't take with them and have some cushion for later.  Sounds good huh?  I will do this one day, but until I am rolling in the dough I will have to come up with another idea.

Real Life:
Well real life is just a tad bid harder.  I try to do things all the time when I can.  I will buy a meal for a hungry man/woman on the street.  No, I don't give them money, but I will walk to the nearest food place and buy them a meal.  I have handed over toys & food over Christmas, I have donated clothes and slightly worn school uniforms to those in need.  I've donated coats to coat drives.  I think that I will not mark a schedule, I will not set a date or a recipient.  Instead I will look every day for that someone that is in need right there and come to the rescue.  I like the surprise.  Why can't it be Pantipalooza everyday?


4 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

It can be. I think it is in people like us. I just set it as Valentines because that is a day when so many people feel alone...apart from the world.

See, I really despise Valentines day. It shows me, once again, that I am alone.

Society says that is not right. I should be paired up.

My head knows that is stupid. My heart...well it has a hard time.

So, I created this as a way to make the day into something better.

I am so glad to know you and we can just palooza together.

Kate said...

Excellent idea. Thanks, Princess, and Dijea!

Anonymous said...

Good idea with the duplex. I bet you will do that someday!

Smirking Cat said...

I like the duplex idea, but after working for so many non-profits, I am so hesitant to just give something to anyone. I am sad to be so cynical, but I have seen it build a sense of entitlement more so than a sense of gratitude or wanting to help others in turn. Maybe someone would actually surprise me though and respond better than those I've encountered so far.